According to the US Green Building Council, a green school creates a healthy environment that is conducive to learning while saving energy, resources and money.
So how green is your school? Take our greeness quiz. Give yourself a point for each characteristic that you see in your school.
- Conserves energy and natural resources
- Saves taxpayer money
- Improves indoor air quality
- Removes toxic materials from places where children learn and play
- Employs daylighting strategies and improves classroom acoustics
- Employs sustainable purchasing and green cleaning practices
- Improves environmental literacy in students
- Decreases the burden on municipal water and wastewater treatment
- Encourages waste management efforts to benefit the local community and region
- Conserves fresh drinking water and helps manage stormwater runoff
- Encourages recycling
- Promotes habitat protection
If you scored 10-12 points, you are the gold standard of green. Your school is a green giant.
If you scored 7-9 points, you're well on your way. Don't lose momentum now! Your school is a green warrior.
If you scored 4-6 points, you've made a good start, now you need a few more champions. Your school is a green sapling.
If you scored 0-3 points, it looks like you're beginning your march. Your school is an acorn, with all the potential of a mighty oak tree!